October 13, 2012

Rapeseed oil with chili and garlic

Warm coloured rapeseed oil
As my kitchen garden is closing down for the season of 2012, I decided to harvest all the chili from the the planted chili plant, which was planted in beginning of June 2012. I got a total of 12 chilies from this one plant, which is quiet OK seen in relation to the cold Danish Summer of 2012.

How to save these chilies in a different way instead of my usual way of freezing them down ? I decided to try to make "my" version of chili oil. Having goggled chili oil, I ended up being confused, should the chilies be cooked/heated before adding them to the oil or not ? Do you have any experience on this topic ?

I decided to play it safe by adding boiling water to the chilies, before adding them into the rapeseed oil.

Lønnestræde´s rapeseed oil with chili and garlic: - 250 ml bottle
The chili plant of 2012

  • 8 chilis - green stem removed and cut in half
  • 2 cloves of garlic - sliced
  • up to 250 ml rapeseed oil
  1. Remove the green stem from the chili and cut them into half. However, let the seeds sitting inside the chili.
  2. Add boiling water to the chilies, let the chilies remain in the hot water for 5 minutes.
  3. At the same time add boiling water to the storage bottle.
  4. Empty the glass for boiling water. Add the chilies into the glass bottle together with the sliced garlic cloves.
  5. Fill the glass bottle with rapeseed oil.
  6. Store the bottle in dark, so the oil does not oxidated.
  7. Let the bottle stand for 2-4 weeks, before you start to use this oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment is my reward :-)
You are more than welcome to write your comment in either English or Danish.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...