May 17, 2013

Perch Hill Rhubarb cordial with orange and star anise

Rhubarb cordial with orange and star anise
I have found this specific recipe on Perch Hill Rhubarb cordial created by Sarah Raven in the Country Living issue May 2013. And more and less at the same time my good friends living in Horsens shared some photos from their garden with me, and here I noticed rhubarb in full growth. I took this a sign, that it was about time I made this season first rhubarb cordial.

My own rhubarbs are also growing, but they are less abundant, so I need a good starting portion from my friends´ garden in Horsens, which were delivered in person by my good girl friend.

If you wonder, why I have placed tulip heads in the cover picture with the rhubarb cordial, the reason is very simple. Hannibal the Cat, my BIG garden lion with a fighting weight of 7 kg, which is a big mouse hunter is also keen on bitting of the tulip heads of the growing tulips in my garden.

You should really try this rhubarb cordial, it has a great taste with an elegant touch of star anise.


Perch Hill Rhubarb cordial with orange and star anise:

  • 2 kg rhubarb stems, roughly chopped
  • 1.5 kg cold water
  • 2 oranges (organic), 8 strips of the peel and juice from both fruits
  • 8-10 star anise
  • 600-800 g sugar
  • All the tasty ingredients prior to cooking
  • 2-3 lemons
  1. Cut the rhubarb stems into larges pieces, into pieces of 2 cm.
  2. Add water and rhubarb into a the cooking pot. Add orange peel, orange juice and the star anise.
  3. Cook it up and left it simmer gently for 5-10 minutes, until the rhubarb stems starts to look like rhubarb mash.
  4. I prefer to keep the lid on the cooking pot on as much as possible in order to keep the  volatile part of the rhubarb flavour inside the cordial instead of loosing to the air.
  5. Remove the cooking pot and place it cold away from the stove, let it rest for min. 1 hour
  6. Remove the rhubarb pieces, orange peels and star anise from the cordial part using a sieve.
  7. Mix rhubarb juice, lemon juice and sugar together, small addition of each ingredients, so you can adjust the sweetness and freshness to your desired preference.
  8. Place the cooking pot on low heat and only heat up until, the sugar has been dissolved.
  9. Pour the hot rhubarb cordial into bottles, which have been standing with boiling water for 5-10 minutes.
  10. Store the rhubarb cordial in the refrigerator or freeze, as no anti-microbial have been added.
Rhubarbs growing in my garden

2 comments:

  1. Tusind tak for den positive tilbagemelding på denne version af rabarbersaft :-) Jeg ved faktisk ikke, hvorvidt citronen bevirker manglende "udfældninger" eller ej. Jeg anvender citronsaften til at balancere sødme og friskhed efter min smagspræference.

    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hej Karin !
    Tusind tak for tilbuddet om nogle dejlige rabarber fra jeres have. Jeg vender tilbage til dig, når jeg har nogle nye rabarberideer på plads i hovedet.

    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete

Your comment is my reward :-)
You are more than welcome to write your comment in either English or Danish.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...