August 24, 2013

Kerneboller (whole grain buns) a la Skærtoft Mølle


Most Monday evenings during the rowing reason I spend rowing on the fjord of Vejle, which means I drive directly from work to the rowing club, jump into the boat and I spend the first 15 minutes sitting on the coxing seat, while eating a bun with either cheese or ham.

So on a regular basic I need to stock my freezer up with more buns for the rowing tour on a Monday evening, so I spend time looking for new recipes mostly located in the bread book "Hjemmebagt". However, this time I have found this recipe on kernebrød on the home-page of Skærtoft Mølle, and instead of baking bread I turned the dough into buns.

Kerneboller (whole grain buns) a la Skærtoft: - 20 buns
  • 150 cracked rye grains
  • 200 g cold water
  • 30 g salt
  • 80 g sun flower seeds
  • 80 g stone grounded whole grain rye flour
  • 1300 g stone grounded Ølands wheat flour or spelt flour
  • 15 g yeast
  • 20 g sugar
  • 400 g buttermilk or yogurt
  • 500-600 g water
  1. Start by mixing the cracked rye grains, salt and water together in a mixing bowl, let it rest cold for minimum 8 hours or night over.
  2. Add the soaked cracked rye grains into a dough bowl, add the rest of the ingredients as well.
  3. Knead the dough together, I usual knead for 10 minutes.
  4. After the kneading process, let the dough raise warm for 1½-2 hour.
  5. Divide the dough into equal size buns, I always a kitchen scale for this purpose in order to ensure equal baking of the buns, I target a dough amount of 80 g per bun.
  6. Place the buns a baking tray covered with baking paper, and let the buns raise for another 30-45 minutes.
  7. Heat up the (conventional) oven to 200'C.
  8. Bake the buns at 200'C for 20-30 minutes in the upper part of then oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment is my reward :-)
You are more than welcome to write your comment in either English or Danish.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...