October 05, 2013

Blackberry jam with vanilla and lemon


Blackberry season is here again, so you should really do an effort and go hunting for these wonderful berries in your local forest. I am so lucky, that I have my very own local supplier of blackberries, which on a regular base brings picked blackberries to me at work, so I only have bring them home to my kitchen and make amazing things with these blackberries.

Blackberry jam is one of my favourite, and with with this recipe I now have four versions of blackberry jam.

So good luck with your blackberry harvest :-)


Classic blackberry jam:

  • 1100 g blackberries
  • 750 g jam sugar
  • 1 vailla pod - corn & pod
  • 1 lemon - zest & juice 
  • 1 teaspoon of white wine vinegar - optional
  1. Heat up the blackberries and jam sugar in a cooking pot together over low heat in a cooking pot.
  2. Add in vanilla corn and pod (cut into smaller pieces), lemon juice and lemon zest.
  3. Bring the fruit to the boiling point and let it boil for 2 minutes
  4. Taste on the jam. If you find it too be to sweet/matured in taste, you can add some vinegar to bring freshness back to the jam. I normally do this in smaller steps, so I can fine tune the flavour profile to my preference. It is more easy to add some extra, than to remove an overdose of something.
  5. Bring the fruit to the boiling point again and let it boil for 2 minutes
  6. Prepare the jam glasses by filling them with boiling water. I do not use any preservatives in my home-made jam, so this is important to increase shelf-life of your jam. Another thing you can do is to store the jam cold afterwards.
  7. Fill the glass with jam and close the glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment is my reward :-)
You are more than welcome to write your comment in either English or Danish.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...