October 26, 2013

Panna cotta with rhubarb compote


I have a fascination of panna cotta as dessert, I think it is massive use of dairy cream as main and most important ingredient, which I am attracted to. I do not have the fascination of whipped dairy cream, I am not a big fan at all of dessert served together with whipped cream. It is actually a puzzling fact as it is the very same dairy whipping  cream is the base for both type of products !!!

Well, I have never made my own version of panna cotta. I have enjoyed many various versions of panna cotta being dinning out, but never in my own little kitchen. So I decided to start out with a standard panna cotta having only vanilla as the flavouring ingredients. And here I found this recipe on Isabella Smith's panna cotta med rabarberkompot.

I have made two modifications. Instead of working only with dairy whipping cream, I decided to use 50% dairy whipping cream and 50% skimmed milk, so basically I reduced the fat with 50% !!!
The second modification is, that I did not made any rhubarb compote specific for this panna cotta. I simply defrosted some rhubarb mass, which I had saved from making this classic rhubarb cordial. So instead of throwing the rhubarb leftovers away, I added sugar to desired sweetness, and then store this "rhubarb compote" in the freezer for later use.

I find, that the sweet fatty panna cotta plays very well together with fresh fruitiness coming from the rhubarb compote. And it will not be last time, that I am making panna cotta in my little kitchen :-)

Panna Cotta: - 4 bigger servings or 6-8 smaller serving

  • 250 g dairy whipping cream - 38% fat
  • 250 g skimmed milk
  • 100 g sugar
  • 1 vanilla pod
  • 4 sheets of gelatine
  1. Start by softening the gelatine sheets in a bowl with cold water.
  2. Meanwhile pour cream and milk in a small cooking pot, add in sugar as well followed by the vanilla corn of the vanilla pod and the actual pod. Warm up this cream mass, it should not boil, let is boil gentle for 15 minutes, while you stir regular, so it does not burn.
  3. Remove the cream mass for the stove. 
  4. Remove the vanilla pod from cream mass.
  5. Squeeze out the water from the gelatine sheets.
  6. Whip the cream mass and the gelatine sheets one by one, ensure they are melted and mix very well into the cream mass.
  7. Pour the cream mass into serving bowls or small glasses.
  8. Place the panna cotta portions in the refrigerator and let it gel, which takes minimum 3-4 hours.
  9. Before serving place 2-3 teaspoon rhubarb compote on top of the panna cotta.
  10. Served and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment is my reward :-)
You are more than welcome to write your comment in either English or Danish.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...