January 26, 2014

Pear sorbet


The Tea Time Treat for this first month of  2014 is hosted for the very first time by Jane fromThe Hedge Combers, and she has selected the theme of EGGs. I have been very much in doubt, what I should make for this month´s virtual tea time table having egg inside !!!! Should it be a citrus curd of some kind or a muffin or citrus cake thing or .... ??? After some serious thinking I decided, that I would make a sorbet !!!

I can more or less see you on the other side of the screen thinking, what does sorbet have in common with EGG !!! Well, in order to get whipability in a sorbet you need protein, and as a sorbet does not contain any dairy ingredients, which can provide such protein, the trick is to use egg white as protein source. I have been getting this advise from some good work colleagues, which are to be counted among the world leading experts within ice cream. 
Where is my part of the sorbet ?

As starting point for this pear sorbet I used this recipe on apple sorbet. Making this pear sorbet also nailed another point on my blogging agenda creating a new ice cream/sorbet every month :-)

While I was freezing the pear sorbet, my garden lion Hannibal found a free space for him to occupy in the box, where the ice cream machine normally has it´s home, when it is not busy freezing ice cream.





The Tea Time Table is a monthly blogging event managed Karen from Lavender and Lovage and Jane from The Hedge Combers.

Pear sorbet:
  • 400 g pear - cored, peeled and cut into boat shape
  • 225 g water
  • 110 g sugar
  • 1 organic lemon - juice and zest
  • 1½ egg white - whipped
  1. Boil the pear pieces and 100 g water together, until the pear pieces have cooked out.
  2. Blend the entire pear mass together.
  3. Add lemon juice and lemon zest into the pear mass.
  4. Cook up pear mass together with the rest pf the water and all of the sugar.
  5. Cold down this pear mix for min 4 hours or night over in the refrigerator.
  6. Whip the egg white into foam.
  7. Stir the pear mass and whipped egg white gentle together, before it in the ice cream machine. 
  8. Run the pear mix on the ice cream machine for 30 minutes.
  9. Place the pear sorbet in the freezer.

2 comments:

  1. Really? Egg whites? How come I didn't know this was how sorbet was made?! Being intolerant of dairy, I really should have been in the know on this!
    Thank you for linking up to Tea Time Treats and educating me on such important matters :)
    Janie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janie, you are using egg white for home-made sorbet. In industrial sorbet you have other types of food ingredients to work with for whipability, delayed melt down and texture adjustment. If dairy is added into a sorbet mass, it is referred to as a sherbet instead of.

      Kirsten

      Delete

Your comment is my reward :-)
You are more than welcome to write your comment in either English or Danish.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...