July 12, 2014

Summer Scones with raspberry, rosemary and white chocolate


I have signed up for participating in Food Blogger Challenge # 3 - Summer food is focusing on three raw materials, which either should be used with the savoury or sweet kitchen. For the sweet challenge the three ingredients are fruit, herb and chocolate. A more obvious choice would have been to make panna cotta with white chocolate, fresh fruit and some lemon balm as the green dot. When I though baking a pie with white chocolate filling and topped of with fresh raspberries and again some lemon balm as the herb part.

However, with some very warm Summer weather, I did not feel like baking forever in my kitchen, so scones with the three key ingredients jump int my mind as the option !!! So went into my little kitchen garden, where I could fresh raspberries and rosemary.

In my first suggestion for a Summer Scone I used lemon balm, raspberry and white chocolate. However, I could not taste the lemon balm at all. The amount of raspberries was too high, so the scone dough was to soft and the amount of white chocolate as well to much, so the overall sweetness was too much in my opnion.

So after some rethinking I decided to use rosemary instead of together with reduction in the amount of raspberries and white chocolate. On top of this I decided to let the rosemary infuse the scone dough cold in the refrigerator for 30 minutes prior to baking.

Summer Scones: - 12 pieces

  • 450 g cake flour
  • ½ teaspoon rosemary - finely chopped
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 1½ teaspoon baking powder
  • 60 g sugar
  • 125 g cold butter
  • 1 egg
  • 200 g milk
  • 50 g white chocolate - chopped into smaller pieces
  • 75 g fresh raspberries
  1. Mix the flour, salt, chopped rosemary, baking powder and sugar together in a mixing bowl.
  2. Cut the cold butter into small pieces.
  3. Grind the butter pieces into the flour mix.
  4. Whip the milk and egg together.
  5. Mix milk-egg and flour-butter together without kneading it a dough.
  6. Add the chocolate pieces and fresh raspberries.
  7. Place the dough on a pieces of baking paper.
  8. Roll the dough into a longer roll size.
  9. Place the scone dough cold in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
  10. Heat up the oven to 250'C
  11. Cut the dough into slices of 3 cm, before placing them on a piece of baking paper
  12. Bake the scone at 250'C for 10-15 minutes in the upper part of the oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment is my reward :-)
You are more than welcome to write your comment in either English or Danish.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...